Tuesday, March 26, 2019

Plan B

An Ode to coffee:

"I can smell the delicious aroma of coffee coming from my cup, warm and welcoming like a fireplace burning vigorously in the winter. Oh, coffee, your smell draws me in, your color comforts me, your taste soothes me. If not for you, who would keep me awake in this time of great need?

Fun fact: I don't usually drink much coffee except for exam season! Well, that's gone out the window.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Since the Guava family is no longer in the opening, I needed to figure out a Plan B that was still able to establish the experiment is being revived without showing it via the BBQ scene AND because of the extensive menacing ex[erimers scene, the opening's mood sets the film up as a thiller-drama hybried (which I'm actually ok with and I think it will work better with the opening's set up.) Cutting the last scene also means I lost 1 minute of running time, which I'll have to make up by extending the first scene (which will become the only scene in the opening.)

Lengthening the first scene also gives me more time to explain the experiment; therefore, intensifying the tension when the audience finds out the experiment is being reopened.  However, I quickly remembered that the experimenter's video has no sound! At this point, with shooting happening tomorrow, I had to get creative. I decided that the audio explaining the experiment would come from a recorder which was used to record the audio of the video and later was stored along with the video recording. This made sense storywise and technique wise; by using a real Sony recorder, it adds believability to the scene because it's a "hero" prop (a working on-screen prop used for up close-ups & extreme close-ups). Using the audio from the recorder also solved the impossible dubbing problem because the video and the recorder don't have to match up; in fact,  it would be very hard to get them to match up if it was a real-life scenario. I recorded the script on the Sony recorder and I'll play that as diegetic sound while filming tomorrow.

The only part that sucks about Plan B is that it causes the first inconsistency in my story (the only one I can notice so far). The recorder is digital which wouldn't have been available until the 70s. I wanted to use a tape recorder which was perfect because the "Compact Cassette" was released in the early 60s; however, I couldn't get the old tape recorder we have at home to work and the schedule is too tight like to delay shooting to buy one online. I just had to accept that there are certain things out of my control :(

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Begining

Hello! My name is Luis! I’m a creative extrovert that enjoys studying advanced management, business, and media. Welcome to my Media Studie...